Featured Post

I Love My Reclaimed Wood Coop

In the Fall of 2015 my husband and I made the decision to tear our back porch off the house. We had found  (during a stre...

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Planning Your Urban Chicken Farm


In planning my chicken farm I did a tremendous amount of surfing the internet for what-to-do-first articles, checklists and anything else that would feed my obsessive need to plan. I am an animal lover and wanted to make sure I did right by the birds I brought home. 

Here's the biggest thing I've learned in the past year of chicken keeping in the city: I knew nothing about anything before I brought these angels home. This project has given me knowledge, joy, lots of laughter and peace. I can sit outside the coop watching the chickens, and experience all of those while drinking coffee on a Saturday morning. I love it.

That being said, how can you, you amazing person, find this same wonder? Why, by diving into chicken keeping as well. Here are my recommendations when planning your little farm. All of these are equally important, but I would start in the order I've chosen.

1. Check the laws for where you live (state, county, HOA, and/or city). This is a vital first step. It's important to not get too deep into this if you will have to get rid of your chickens or you need to change a city ordinance. 

2. Learn the terminology (and bookmark this page) so you know what you're shopping for. Below are a few terms for you to remember.

Pullet: Female chickens prior to 1 year of age.
Broody hen: A hen that has decided to hatch her own eggs.
Candling: The process of checking the viability or an egg during incubation. 
Chicken Coop: The house the chickens live in.
Chicken Run: The outside area, generally fenced in and connected to the coop, the chickens can spend time in during bad weather or sometimes all the time, depending on your location.
Cockerel: Male chickens prior to 1 year of age.
Comb: The fleshy thing on top of the head of male and female chickens. It's generally red or pink and comes in a variety of shapes.
Cull: Removing an animal from your flock. Often it means putting the animal down, but it can also mean re-homing.
Dust bath: When your chicken is rolling around in the dirt throwing it all over the place. It looks weird, but it's a good thing.
Free Range: Allowing your chickens to run around property during the day, eating bugs, weeds, whatever they choose.
Hen: Female chicken older than 1 year.
Rooster: Male chicken older than 1 year.
Straight-run: Chicks that have not been sexed. 

3. Why do you want chickens? This is a super important question. Do you want pets, eggs, meat, entertainment, breeding, lawn mowing services, compost, etc, etc, etc. This answer plays a role in many of the decisions with planning your farm, including breed and, if you plan to not cull at any point, making sure you plan for after your hens stop laying.

4. Space and coop requirements: It's a good idea to plan for 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, then 10 square feet per chicken in the run. Also, if you have a small yard, there will be chicken poop, do you want to keep them from one area to curb that or just let them roam about?

5. Security: It's important to protect your flock from predators. Learn about what is a concern where you live and how to protect your flock. I have possums, raccoons and hawks to deal with in my city. So I have a wired enclosure I leave them in at night and a roof over my run. That has kept them safe so far. knock on wood

6. Ok, so you are ready to start thinking actual chickens! Do you want to start with chicks,they will require a brooder and heat source, or older ones that are ready to go straight outside? And do you need to make sure you have a specific gender only? If so, buying straight run is not for you.

7. Last, but certainly not least, choosing the breed. Do you want to mix breeds or get only one breed? If mixed, what breeds get along with other breeds? Do you need them to not be quite as able to fly? Are you willing to clip the wings of the breeds that are flyers (leghorns)?

This is the fun part for me. It means it's truly about to happen and I get to look at the beautiful pictures of these beautiful creatures.

Happy chickening!

No comments:

Post a Comment